Paramedics are called to a college fraternity Halloween party where a
large cauldron of “green witches brew” was being served. Several
students are found intoxicated with altered mental status and
hallucinations. Two male freshman students suffer generalized
tonic-clonic seizures en route to the ED.
A 35 year-old male with a past medical history of severe mental
retardation and a seizure disorder was observed eating 16 “snake”
fireworks by nursing home staff. He presented to the ED uncooperative
and was tachycardic.
The patient is a 27-year-old stock exchange worker who presents to the
ED with a complaint of anxiety, chest pain, sweating, palpitations and a
feeling of “paranoia and impending doom” following the recreational
ingestion of “bath salts” two hours prior at a company party.
Indigenous to Mexico and Central America, the red green poinsettia (or
Christmas Star), was first introduced to the US in the 1800s. The
plant’s reputation for toxicity stemmed from a single unconfirmed case
fatality of a 2-year-old child in the early 1900s.
Over the last six months, the drug K2 – or “spice” – has gained national
attention both from the media and the medical community. This synthetic
cannabinoid, which is completely legal in most states, is sending users
to the ED with symptoms from hallucinations to seizures.
The patient is a 21-year-old male who presents to your ED with vomiting
and dizziness after drinking homemade tea made with leaves and flowers
from the plant pictured.
Partial opiate agonist poisoning in a child
A two year-old boy without medical history is brought to the ED 30 minutes afterbeing found next to a spilled bottle of Suboxone. The father is prescribed Suboxonefor prescription narcotic addiction. The child was otherwise in usual state of health.