Toxicology
Print
E-mail
Reprint

alt 

The patient is a 21-year-old male who presents to your ED with vomiting and dizziness after drinking homemade tea made with leaves and flowers from the plant pictured.

His pulse on arrival is 48 beats/min; blood pressure 80/40mmHg; respiratory rate 28 breaths/min; temperature 98 F and pulse oximetry 97% on room air.

His ECG demonstrates a junctional bradycardia and laboratory data is significant for a serum potassium of 6.2 mEq/L.

What is this flower, and what tox concerns should you have? Discussion on next page

 

Comments   

# Pic of Lily of the Valley NOT Lily of the ValleySarahG 2010-07-21 05:26
The photo labeled 'Lily of the Valley' is the oleander. BTW, did you find out why he ingested this?
Reply
# EditorEditor 2010-07-21 11:09
Nice catch, SarahG. This was a mistake of the editors, and not the author, but it is fixed now. Thanks!
Reply

Add comment

Security code
Refresh

Popular Authors

  • Greg Henry
  • Rick Bukata
  • Mark Plaster
  • Kevin Klauer
  • Jesse Pines
  • David Newman
  • Rich Levitan
  • Ghazala Sharieff
  • Nicholas Genes
  • Jeannette Wolfe
  • William Sullivan
  • Michael Silverman

Earn CME Credit