You Can’t Make Me Eat Them

We got into an argument with our 5 year old daughter last night about trying the new dish that my wife prepared for dinner.
The dish contained onions and Daughter WhiteCoat didn’t know what they were, so she picked them out of the meal and set them on the side of the plate.
We asked her to try one.
She asked us what they were.
We told her.
She began crying.
“Honey, just try one. That’s all we’re asking. You just might like them.”
She bawled even harder.
“What is wrong with you?”
[Between sniffles] “I heard that they’re bad for your eyes.”

Dinner ended early because we couldn’t stop laughing.

7 Responses to “You Can’t Make Me Eat Them”

1. tyro says:

Ah, the discussion we have every night. My favorite is, “I don’t want to eat that”, with my response, “But I just asked you, that’s what you said you wanted!”

2. Somewhere out there is a photo of me, age 6, asleep at the dining room table, my head cradled by a bowl of rice pudding. I was not to leave the table without trying a bite… The Famed Rice Pudding Throwdown.

Those were also the days when I fooled everyone by putting my scrambled eggs in my napkin every morning.

*Texture* was the issue, I think. Plus, I was stoopid!

3. Pink says:

Hehehe. Kids are so cute. Reminds me of a story about my then 4 y/o.

She was cooking spaghetti with her granny. She saw granny start to saute some onions to put in the sauce. She told granny that she didn’t like onions. Granny told her that she wouldn’t taste them once they were sauteed and then simmered in the sauce.

To which she replied, “But granny, I can still hear their voices.”

:-)

Awwwww! How CUTE! is she?!! :)

Other stories cute too.

I refused to eat peas and I remember being at the table really late one night. I don’t remember eating a pea though. Love em now! :)

Last winter, I wanted then 6 yr little SeaSprayette to try Hungarian goulash that had been simmering.

She scrunched her nose up at it.

I said, “SeaSprayette… I know you will like this. So..just taste it.”

“Yes Mum-Mum,, but do we have the same taste buds?”

I let her have that win. :)

5. ERP says:

My goal is the have my son eat EVERYTHING before his second birthday (except shellfish and nuts that is) so he gulps those onions down when he is five!

6. Don Salva says:

Well, when I was 5 I regularly ate earthworms (Yum, Yum!) until I got slapped real hard!

7. ADHDCPhT says:

I ate everything as a child, and still do.