ED Abuse

From Statesman.com …

Nine patients.
Six years.
2,678 emergency department visits.
$3 million in bills to the taxpayers in Austin, TX.

And so many Americans won’t get basic health care because they can’t afford it.

Something ain’t right.

Ambulance Driver has some suggestions on a cure. 911Doc also beat me to the post.

The fact that so many emergency medical providers are highlighting the article should tell you something.

8 Responses to “ED Abuse”

1. ERP says:

They are called “Heavy ER Users” and suck up a vast majority of an ER’s resources. I remember there was a story out of Camden, NJ last year about these types.

2. toni says:

Amen. He is preaching to the choir. Will anybody in Washington ever listen to the common sense of the people. Why is everyone entitled to a ER doctor when it is clear some cases are not emergent. Examples, cancer sores, superficial knee abrasion, pregnancy test wanted, and the many other truly stupid reasons people visit the ER. Can we have some common sense?

3. k says:

Revise EMTALA to provide for cash copays up front for Medicaid patients – say, the cost of a pack of smokes or a 40-oz bottle of Mickey’s malt liquor. Maybe more institutions can make use of UCMC’s ED protocols. Perhaps it would be less expensive to institutionalize these frequent fraudsters, since we’re paying for it anyway.

4. MysteryMedic says:

That also mean there were 2,678 calls to 911 as well in Austin.

5. When I first saw this, I was hoping against hope that it was an April Fools Joke.

I can not imagine that many visits for a LIFETIME.. NEVER MIND THE ED.

I meant to say LIFETIME with all medical anywhere.

All my medical appointments/tests,procedures,surgeries,office visits and even pharmacy visits… anything medical combined during my entire life wouldn’t amount anywhere near that number of visits.anywhere..never -ever.

I agree about accountability fostering responsible decisions… one would hope so anyway.

8. brighid says:

I read that 8 of the 9 had psychiatric diagnoses. Which makes me wonder two things: Given their evidently tenuous grasp on reality, what sanctions against these 8 would actually make a difference in their behavior?

And why in the world hasn’t someone diagnosed the 9th?