Aortogram

AortogramI was searching through a patient’s x-ray files for a comparison film and came across this aortogram.

Had never seen what an aortogram looks like prior to this exam.

Looked more like an emaciated picture of Gumby when I first saw it.

The head and body are the aorta.
The arms are the renal arteries (going to the kidneys).
The legs are the femoral arteries (going to the legs).
The white markings are calcium deposits within the vessel walls.

13 Responses to “Aortogram”

1. Tom B. says:

Pretty cool, but why doesn’t it show the arch?

Tom

2. Leslie says:

LOL! Gumby is just what I thought too!

3. Joseph says:

Don’t forget the common iliacs!

That’s funny. :)

5. Don Salva says:

I’m not a doctor. Calcium deposits are bad, right? Not the same as calcium supplements which are good for bones.

6. Jen says:

I’m only a student and might be totally off – but doesn’t the abdominal aorta split into the common iliacs first? On another note, Monty Python’s Holy Grail of calcifications. Poor dood.

7. Swampleg says:

I am kind of disappointed that Matt has not showed up to tell us things like this would not happen if we made it easier to sue doctors and hospitals.

8. I must be “that guy” and point out an major error in your description of Gumby:

The bifurcation of the aorta (L4/5) gives rise to the common iliac artery (not the femoral) which then gives rise to the external and internal iliac arteries. The external iliac artery is continuous with the femoral artery, and the name change occurs at the inguinal ligament.

Otherwise, this is a VERY cool image and I may have to use this in the course I am teaching next semester.

Keep up the good work (here and in your ED)!

9. CJ says:

Have you ever seen an arteriogram of the vessels in the brain? It’s pretty sweet, and you can totally see the basilar artery, circle of Willis, etc.

10. Xavier says:

Kinda like the grinning cat on every head CT, keep looking, you’ll see it

11. I’ve seen many aortagrams, but nothing this close to gumby. Does this aorta moonwalk too? or just impersonate famous characters?

Enjoy the night.