Thanksgiving Thoughts

Since the kids had this week off from school, we decided to take a mini-vacation in a hotel/indoor water park Рjust to spend some time together and to relax. It was fun to watch the kids forget about all of the other things going on in their lives and focus on having fun.  I could just sit and watch their happy faces coming down the water slides over and over again. It never gets old.

We came home yesterday afternoon and called around to family to wish them a happy Thanksgiving. Then we invited some friends over for a glass of wine and some dessert. Overall, it was a pleasant and relaxing few days.
But the things that I saw and heard made me realize several things about Thanksgiving.

It seems to me that for many people, Thanksgiving isn’t as much about the family any more. During our mini vacation, Mrs. WhiteCoat and I were sitting by the side of the pool watching several parents who couldn’t take their eyes off of their iPhones. Not sure if they were texting, reading the news, or what, but it was readily apparent that they weren’t too interested in their kids who kept running up to them with excitement and then walking away to go hit the water slides after getting a half-smile. How many times do we hear (or say) “I’m not going to Grandma’s house this year because ‘So-and-so’ is going to be there”?

Ads for Black Friday sales permeate the media. Newspapers are full of offers for everything from the cheapest electronics to the cheapest toilet seats. Radio ads remind us to shop early and shop often. News stories show crowds of people waiting in line at the crack of dawn to be the first one to purchase the latest electronics. How many people got up at the crack of dawn to go visit a family member? Or to call a lonely relative? Ironic that some people seem to spend more time planning to buy presents for their family than they do actually spending quality time with their family.

It saddened me when I called my mother last evening and asked how her Thanksgiving had been. “I had to work because they were short-staffed at the store. When I came home, your dad was down at his office doing work. So I made myself a sandwich and am just sitting here alone watching TV.” I wished somehow that I could transport her out to our home so we could laugh and joke and play cards.

It wasn’t too long ago that Grandma WC was visiting us and sitting in my living room making stuffed animals for all of my children. I thought about when I was a child and would come to her upset. She would caress my cheek, whisper in my ear, and make all of my troubles go away. She did the same things with my kids while she was here. She still has the same loving eyes and the same smile, but her face has become weathered through the years. The caresses with arthritic fingers mean even more now than they once did. When discussing her aching joints, she casually mentioned that she was “hoping to get 10 more years out of my body.” When I was a child, I never even considered that my mother wouldn’t be there for me. It is difficult to be reminded as an adult that now our time together is limited.

Don’t know where I’m going with this whole rambling post other than to make a Thanksgiving wish. You never know when the time you have with your loved ones will end. A sudden illness, an accident, a sudden military deployment may leave you with only memories.

So stop worrying who has the cheapest iPad on sale and cherish the times with your family.

That’s what the holidays are all about.

14 Responses to “Thanksgiving Thoughts”

1. Tammi K says:

Well said!

2. BinkRN says:

Well said, WhiteCoat.

3. well hell thanks for depressing me

4. M-Can says:

Dear God: On this Thanksgiving 2010, we thank You for giving WhiteCoat life, and wisdom that he is willing to share with us. Amen.

5. Nurse K says:

If my family wants to come eat with me in the ER breakroom for no longer than 30 minutes, have at ‘er.

6. [...] of my most favorite weblogs purely because of the human touch it brings to its posts. In the post Thanksgiving Thoughts he moves away from all the media mania about Balck Friday and all it materialistic jingoism to [...]

7. Chrys says:

How true, WC. Time is the best gift you can give to someone.

8. k says:

Amen!

And never forget to tell a loved
    one “I love you”, because you
    never know when it will be your
    last chance to do so.

9. DefendUSA says:

You are correct on all counts. And especially about the short time we have with our mothers. My Mutti is so awesome and I shudder to think that someday she may not be there to be my champion.

10. tracy says:

Oh. Wow. That was so sad, yet it really got me thinking, which is a blessing, thank you, Dr. Whitecoat.

Especially hurtful was thinking about the kids at the water park whose parents were basically ignoring them. i w i s h my son would want to do something like that, so i could happily watch him…!

11. Kyla says:

Well said!

(I go Black Friday shopping mostly because it is the one thing I do with just my parents every year.)

12. isaac says:

My brother was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer so this Thanksgiving your point was all too relevant.

Ditto what M-Can said. :)

Sounds like you had a wonderful memory building Thanksgiving with your family. I wholeheartedly agree with you about the I-phones too. And kids are learning the same. They both lose ..parents are missing out on the special moments and kids must feel the neglect because they pick up everything ..even if they don’t seem to show it.

Your Mom sounds so sweet and I’m not surprised. :)

I miss my mom and some other special people no longer with us. But we had a nice family day with other relatives here.

At least there weren’t any stampeding people to death to get at the bargains.