Picture my vocal cords

Dammit Shadowfax. Epiglottis picture You had to re-tweet the whole “taking pictures of your larynx with an iPhone” meme, didn’t you? Started with tweet by @traumagasdoc. Then @Shadowfax retweeted it. Then @maggiemay419 got involved.
I don’t have an iPhone. I upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy which is larger, so it’s a little more of a chore to jam the thing in the back of your mouth. The first time I tried it, my 6-year-old daughter looked at me and yelled “Mom! Dad’s eating his phooone!”

After a few dozen tries and several episodes of making myself retch, the best that I could do was a picture of my epiglottis. I angled the phone. I extended my neck. I pulled on my tongue, I used a spoon to push my tongue out of the way. No luck. Best picture is to the right. Tongue is at the bottom of the picture, epiglottis is in middle, trachea is dark area just out of view, back of my throat is at top of picture.

@traumagasdoc had a perfect picture. I’m convinced he is a Muppet.

Potential idea for an entrepreneur – create a detachable periscope-like mechanism that hooks onto the iPhone camera lens and can re-direct the iPhone’s LED light to use for video laryngoscopy using a smart phone. How cool would that be?

6 Responses to “Picture my vocal cords”

AHHHHH! ;)

Yet …O-N-E more clue in figuring out your true Identity.

Mental note made. ;)

So WC …are you uvulaless? Shouldn’t that be in there too?

Your a hoot! :)

And now I feel like we all know you just a little bit better, because it’s not everyday you get to see one’s epiglottis. This is special.

Now …how to reciprocate? :)

Seriously ..kudos to the person who thought of this meme – unique and funny for sure. And funny you all are doing this. :)

2. Erica Rose says:

Drinking some wine to hopefully suppress my gag reflex, as the first handful of tries were highly unsuccessful. I really hope I don’t puke on my phone, ha!

3. Emcdonald says:

I was successful after switching to video mode, flash on, maintain filming as long as you can stand it. Then remove and take a screen shot of the best image – better chance of success I found. Good luck!

4. Traumagasdoc says:

If you’re going to drink wine make sure it’s white – otherwise the photo will look a bit odd.

This started with a conversation in the pub about mouth size (mine’s quite large) and then trying to take photos. I was surprised how good the photo was. I have repeated the experiment to make sure it wasn’t a fluke.

Please note I take no responsibility for saliva/acid damage to your phone

Maybe you can do a “how to” for YouTube. ;)

6. Ben Rush MD says:

That gives new meaning to Deep Throat.